Saturday, July 24, 2010

So i met Eoin Colfer


Okay, so I have to say this Summer has been pretty awesome. I mean i discovered the awesomeness of Doctor Who, I saw Green Day live and I'm just after meeting Eoin Colfer. A friend of mine said that Summer of 2011 will have a lot to live up to, and he is right.

There's a chain of bookstores in Ireland (it may be in the UK too, i don't actually know), called Easons. They've been having these young adult books signings since May. I went to one for an author called Derek Landy and i was hoping to go to one for Darren Shan but other things got in the way.

Anyway, so my mum entered her name in to win 2 tickets to this Eoin Colfer book signing (if you don't know Eoin Colfer wrote the Artemis Fowl series and the new hitchhikers book) and she won. I think its if you enter your name you can fairly certain you'll win.

I was, naturally, hyper about this, because i do love his books. I had intended to bring the books of his I owned with me, but i forgot, I blame the dentist. My mum and I walked around town for a while because we were early and we don't often get to go down to Dublin. While we wondered around I bought a Sonic Screwdriver, which I love, and the 2 Artemis Fowl books i didn't own. By the time I actually got to the signing I had 5 Eoin Colfer books, despite having leaving my own at home.

My mum and I were relying on my dad to pick us up, and we knew he was going to be lateish. So instead of being first in the line, which I could've been, I hung around for a while. In this time i managed to nab myself 2 posters, which made me very happy.

I should probably mention, that Eoin talked for a while, and is one of the funniest people. Really down to earth and just all round cool guy.

I got into the line, my hands bulging with books and posters and then I met the man himself. Apparently, I seemed familiar. As far as i know we'd never met before....hmmm. So he signed my books and he asked me some general small talk questions, when we managed to get on to the subject of my sonic screwdriver (which I had in my pocket) i then proceeded to take out said screwdriver, hand it to Eoin Colfer and explain how it worked, now this was awesome enough, but then we talked about our favourite sci fi shows! And them two moments have made my year!

I then said goodbye, left, and went home, annoying my dad with my sonic screwdriver all the way home.

No comments: